I have been thinking about putting together this post for a while now! Having one child of my own, and another on the way, I get asked ALL the time the must-haves for new parents and what items should be put on the registry. Just having been a new mom myself, I know how daunting and confusing babyland can be! So I decided to put together a list of what I consider must-have items for a baby registry and the brands of items that I love. These suggestions are just my opinion…. there are a lot of choices out there that are great and may work better for you! I included the Amazon link so you can easily research these products.
1. Crib mattress | Colgate Eco Classica III Dual Firmness Eco-Friendlier Crib Mattress | This mattress is so light and durable, and has both a firm side for infants and a slightly softer side for toddlers. Do not forget waterproof mattress covers for those inevitable nighttime leaky diapers! You can also forget about bedding (for now) – just a fitted sheet and nothing else for that first year to keep your baby safe from SIDS.
2. Car Seat/Stroller | Chicco KeyFit 30 Travel System | Maybe not the most glamourous option on the market, but this car seat and stroller system worked perfectly for us for the first year. It was so easy to slip the seat in and out of the car, and right onto the stroller without waking up a sleeping newborn.
3. Rocker | Fisher Price Rock N Play | By far the best item for the first 6 months. This served as the perfect place to set my son down during the day. It is super comfortable and very transportable. I moved it all around the house with me so I was able to shower and cook while having the baby near me at all times.
4. Nursing Pillow | My Brest Friend | I found breastfeeding to be one of the tougher parts of being a brand new mom. This pillow at least makes it a little easier to get comfortable and find the perfect position for your little one to latch on. A little secret also – I found that using a standard couch throw pillow worked better than any breast pillow on the market!
5. Breast Pump | Medela Pump N Style | If you have health insurance, most health insurance companies will give you a free breast pump so make sure to ask! Although a little intimidating at first, a breast pump allows you to store some milk so that daddy can help feed the baby and give mom a little break. I also used the Medela Steaming Bags to sanitize my equipment – much faster than boiling each time!
6. Portable Crib | Graco Pack N Play | Although you might not be travelling too much in those first few months, this is great to have as another place to set the baby down during the day. Also, it comes with a diaper changing station so if you have this set up in your living room, you do not always need to run back to the changing table for every diaper change (and there will be a lot!).
7. Baby Monitor | Motorola Digital Video Monitor | A must-have! I joke that I have no idea how our parents used sound only monitors back in the day. This allows you to see and hear your baby easily from almost all rooms in the house. Plus, ours broke about a year into using it and Motorola replaced it for free!
8. High Chair | S1 by Safety First Comfy Clean High Chair | Pretty standard and easy to clean. As of this blog post, it looks like the high chair has been discontinued. A very similar product is this Graco one. However, we always preferred the portable high chairs as soon as my son was steady enough to support his own head and sit upright. We loved the Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster Seat.
9. Bottles & Nipples | Tommee Tippee | There are so many brands out there and you will have to see what works best for your baby. This brand always worked well for my son.
10. Muslin Swaddle Blankets | Aden & Anais | Although a bit more expensive than your traditional flannel receiving blankets, these are amazing, cute and very versatile!
11. Tub | Primo EuroBath | We love this tub because it can go from newborn to toddler without having to buy a new one! We do not have a traditional bathtub in our house, so we still use this bath for my almost 2 year old. He loves it and it is bigger and more spacious than the other brands on the market.
12. One piece pajamas | Carters | I recommend all my new moms to skip the cute outfits the first 2 or 3 months. You’ll be spending most of that time in the house and I always wanted my son to be comfortable and warm. One piece pajamas are the perfect option for clothing. The cute little baby jeans and button down shirts were packed away never used in favor of these.
13. Diaper Bag | We went with a pretty boring one but I plan on upgrading with baby #2 with a cuter brand like Jujube. You’ll be carrying this thing everywhere!
Other small incidentals that are always great to fill up a registry are listed below. I feel as if brands probably matter less for these but I noted the ones we used for some of them:
Diaper cream (Desitin)
Diaper Pail (Arm & Hammer)
Nipple cream (Lanolin)
Nursing Bras (Bravado Body Silk Seamless Nursing Bra)
Bath stuff: towels, wash cloths, baby soap (Aveeno), hair brush
Nasal aspirator (Nose Frida)
Sun shields for the car windows
Detergent (All Baby)
Changing pad covers
Bottle brushes (Playtex SmartBrush BPA Free No-Scratch Bottle Brush)
Bottle drying mat
Some other items we own that we did not get much use out of, but other parents absolutely love!
Baby Carrier | Ergo baby carrier and Moby baby carrier | My son was never one for being held too close for extended periods of time so we never really used these. But people love them and I plan on trying again with baby #2 in such a couple of months!
Swing | Fisher Price Cradle N Swing | We used the swing on occasion, and our favorite kind was this brand since our son seemed to love the side to side motion over the front to back motion.
Newborn Lounger | Boppy Newborn Lounger | I always preferred the Rock N Play as where to set my baby down for a while but other moms also love the portability of this newborn lounger.
Bassinet | Halo Bassinet Swivel Sleeper | We were able to bring my son’s crib right into our bedroom for the first few months so did not need a bassinet. But I have heard from many new moms that they love this brand!
Hopefully this will help you as you create your own baby registries! There are some other great resources out there that can help too, I especially loved this website: http://www.parents.com/baby/gear/registries-buying-guides/baby-shopping-guide/.